I really considered dropping him off at daycare though - if only for a few hours. I had only had about 4 hours sleep, and I was stuffed. I was going to have my first try at taking him to the market stalls with me to do the fruit and veg shopping on Friday morning, and I honestly thought with me so tired it would all fall apart.
In the end I didn't, but only because I was so slow at getting things together that it just would have added more time to a schedule that wasn't going to handle the stuff I needed to do already.
So we walked to the supermarket and got nappies and a couple of bits and pieces, then off the the market stall. Found a good place to park the pram, and headed to my favourite stall. Before I got very far though I ran into my friend from parents group, and her son. She is the woman who made me think I could do this in the first place. Our little boys (who see each other at least twice a week) decided to act like long lost brothers and ran in circles round each other and cuddling each other and generally holding up all the pensioners and mums who were also there, and she suggested she take the two boys to an open area for 15 mins or so to let me do a quick run through the stall. Atti came looking for me when I was in line, and we decided to let him stay with me then, which was nice because the fruit stall lady loves him and got to have a little flirt session with him. Also we taught him to 'help' by putting the fruit and veg on the scales, which he loved doing.
Then we went to meet that same friend and son at a local park on our way home.
I was supposed to be home at a certain time to Skype with my mum, but Atticus feel asleep in the pram right as I got home, so we put that off. He had a decent enough sleep, and then a Skype to mum, then we were off for our whirlwind of afternoon playdates I had organised. The highlight was a ride on the carousel at the zoo with 'Rio' - he has been on before, but never smiled or laughed on it before - and they both did the whole ride. It was great - and very lucky. I had forgotten the time, and the ride shuts at 4 - we ran gasping up to the carousel at about 5 minutes to 4, lights turned off, quite sure I had stuffed it all up - but the lovely lovely man turned it back on for us and gave the kids a ride. I really must flick an email to the zoo telling them he is an absolute treasure who saved my afternoon - the 5 year old would never have forgiven me if she had missed it!
So how did I go? Well it was bloody exhausting - I was shattered when I got home and seriously grumpy at the Wook when he wanted me to help with bath and bedtimes. I just wanted to climb into my recliner chair and act like I was in a coma. I also got less done that I would have liked - so a bit better planning for the day is probably in order. And there were some bumpy bits - taking the 5 year old as well makes the day a bit harder in parts. But easier in other parts. I definitely need to think about how to get them round the zoo better - the bike is a bad choice. I need something they can both get into when they need it.
Shopping seems viable - if I am organised. I will definitely need a list thought - dealing with a toddler and trying to think about menu planning won't work at all. I had to send the Wook back today to get a couple of things I forgot.
I also need to keep better track of what is going to happen on the weekend. The Wook had plans that meant I was also mostly on my own with Atti on Saturday, although I did get a two hour sleep in which was lovely. It is a loooong stretch when it is two full days on my own. But again, better planning.
Mostly I need to get my act together when I am at home. There is too much tv watching happening when we are at home. I want to do the dishes or the laundry or bake something, and the only way I can manage is if the electronic babysitter is on. And then, if we are home, that is what he asks for. Loudly and persistently. I can distract him, but it requires me giving him a lot of attention. I need to get him back to being able to play by himself or alongside me when we are at home. That will require a bit of thinking.
I am not sure if I will be using daycare next week or not - I start a new job two days a week, and that might mean I really need a half day alone at home to get on top of everything. We shall see. I would prefer to keep him with me though, so I will see how I feel Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment