Today was one of those days.
And sadly it was my birthday too.
Yesterday I broke the cardinal rule of kid sleep and said to someone in the office that my son now reliably sleeps past 6am… you know where this is going right? Yup, 5.30am and I was woken up. And it all kind of went to hell from there.
Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to just cancel all the plans for the morning, and so we drove a loooooong way to a conservation park on the outskirts of the city. We were meeting some friends at the water playground, but I wasn't willing to drive that far for an hour, and the only other thing open was the children's forest - we went to the children's forest.
It was awful. One of the kids we play with a lot, he was sick over xmas and his mum has totally caved on her 'not carrying you around all the time' stance, so Atti has watched how he demands and gets picked up and carried a lot. And so he is not having this walking business - so we spent most of the walk in the forrest while him whining to be carried and then sooking about not being carried.
The water park bit was nice, one of the parent's brought hats and cake and candles so we had a birthday thing. And one of the other parents is awesome at rough-housing with the kids, so they all had a great time. And huzzah huzzah, I figured out how to stop Atti sleeping the whole 40 minute drive home, and then not sleeping any more. So he did have his normal nap and he did go upstairs to hang out with the neighbours for a couple of hours.
I was intending to sleep and relax. But actually I had to walk to the post office to collect the mail I had missed that morning and when I did lie down, every time I feel asleep my phone rang. Why yes, I did turn the ringer off, but I also dropped it on the bed and it woke me up the final time by vibrating!
Tonight was kind of nice though - the Wook, his parents and Atti gave me this beautiful copper casserole pot, which Atti immediately stole for his kitchen. Seriously, I took it out of the box and a split second later he was off with it! Maybe he should have been called Oliver? He and Rio 'cooked' a casserole in it, and then discovered it's reflective qualities, so I am having trouble keeping it in my kitchen at all.
I kind of think that by leaning in and accepting that I was going to have a rough day, I kind of changed it a bit. I wasn't being very tolerant and nice in the forrest, I admit - I was hot, tired and my kid was whiney - plus my friend was being a bit ….over-helpful. Actually judge-y, but her way of expressing it was concern and suggestions for sorting out the tired and the resulting shitty parent and friend I was being.
I mean I get it, but all I feel is judged in the moment.
Oh whinge whinge - it was a nice day by the end of it. We had Rio that night, and she was no trouble at all (which is not standard at the moment). She went off to sleep with little fuss (again, not standard currently) and I got to flop down, eat a delicious vegetarian shepherd's pie cooked by someone else, and watch old eps of Gray's Anatomy. What is to complain about with that?
The water park bit was nice, one of the parent's brought hats and cake and candles so we had a birthday thing. And one of the other parents is awesome at rough-housing with the kids, so they all had a great time. And huzzah huzzah, I figured out how to stop Atti sleeping the whole 40 minute drive home, and then not sleeping any more. So he did have his normal nap and he did go upstairs to hang out with the neighbours for a couple of hours.
I was intending to sleep and relax. But actually I had to walk to the post office to collect the mail I had missed that morning and when I did lie down, every time I feel asleep my phone rang. Why yes, I did turn the ringer off, but I also dropped it on the bed and it woke me up the final time by vibrating!
Tonight was kind of nice though - the Wook, his parents and Atti gave me this beautiful copper casserole pot, which Atti immediately stole for his kitchen. Seriously, I took it out of the box and a split second later he was off with it! Maybe he should have been called Oliver? He and Rio 'cooked' a casserole in it, and then discovered it's reflective qualities, so I am having trouble keeping it in my kitchen at all.
I kind of think that by leaning in and accepting that I was going to have a rough day, I kind of changed it a bit. I wasn't being very tolerant and nice in the forrest, I admit - I was hot, tired and my kid was whiney - plus my friend was being a bit ….over-helpful. Actually judge-y, but her way of expressing it was concern and suggestions for sorting out the tired and the resulting shitty parent and friend I was being.
I mean I get it, but all I feel is judged in the moment.
Oh whinge whinge - it was a nice day by the end of it. We had Rio that night, and she was no trouble at all (which is not standard at the moment). She went off to sleep with little fuss (again, not standard currently) and I got to flop down, eat a delicious vegetarian shepherd's pie cooked by someone else, and watch old eps of Gray's Anatomy. What is to complain about with that?

No comments:
Post a Comment