OMG. They are awful. The ones we were watching were called Merrie Melodies. I must have seen them growing up (or at least I have seen all the conceits used in them), so why am I so horrified now?
It was astonishing at how much I found offensive in them - the racist imagery and violence was shocking. I watched a dog vs cat one, where the the dog was turned into a 'chinaman' after being hit with a bin lid that gobsmacked me. There were several 'asian' tropes in the three or so I watched, and they were all offensive.
The violence is astonishing. I mean, there is a reason it is called 'cartoon violence' I guess. But seriously, I don't want my kid watching that. I don't want him to think that hitting people with bin lids (or anvils, but where is he ever getting an anvil?) is ok.
And ok, I get that it is stupid to complain that the science is all off in a cartoon, I get that, truly… but seriously, the science is so so wrong.
I think these things will be making their way to the bottom of the pile, and out the door before Atti is old enough to absorb anything from them. I can get the 'why do some animals have clothes on?' questions from Peter Rabbit!
No comments:
Post a Comment