Friday, 31 October 2014

Halloween

Halloween isn't a particularly big holiday in Australia, and I reckon there are a lot of people who have no interest whatsoever in picking up another American 'thing', let alone one that means their kids eat more sugar.

However, both years since I had Atti, his daycare has had a little Halloween party (if only by the skin of their teeth today), and I have put him in a costume for the day, and both years have managed to take some pix of their party. It was nice. This year, since for a bunch of reasons they only decided they could have the party on the evening before, I made them some biscuits (can anyone say procrastinating from your tenancy law study?).

This year one of my neighbours accidentally discovered on her way home that a small part of the next suburb over has taken on halloween. In a couple of block radius, lot so the homes decorate and do trick or treating. She got home thoroughly excited about taking the kids, and she even got into costume. Mine was still in his costume, and it was easy enough to chuck a dress on the other one. I currently have the two seats (neighbour who is the parent of Rio and I have an extra seat we switch between our cars on the days we are taking the other's kid), and I wasn't going off to work tonight, so I was elected to go with the kids and drive.

I have to say though, it was lovely. It is a really nice neighbourhood thing where I was. Lots of families walking around, some tween and teenagers, the people who set up their houses were great. Most just did a few decorations and a bowl of treats - some just left a bucket on their doorsteps. Others went all out and had activities and all. I think my favourite decoration was this…


Then again, we also stumbled across a dalek…..


It was hilarious actually. Atti loved that he was going off and doing something with Rio, and for the first two blocks he was into it. People were giving him things, he put them in his bucket, wandered a bit further holding either Rio's or my hand - it was fine. Then it was basically his bedtime, he hadn't had dinner and he was just wanting to be cuddled and carried. About two thirds of the way round, I offered him a banana lollie from his bucket, because he really probably did need to eat. And then he was alive again, let me tell you. Kept eating from his bucket, was willing to walk again - excited to go up to people and get lollies and chocolates - now that he realised that is what was happening. 'My bucket'! he kept telling the neighbour. We might still be there if he had worked out what was going on at the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment