Generally speaking, we haven't really had a lot of 'behaviour' issues with Atti. At daycare, when they want to talk with me about something, it is usually because of something another kid has done to him (he won't give up a scooter or bike to another kid, other kid gets upset and hits/bites/kicks Atti) but he is generally pretty chill. However in the last two weeks, he has been spitting on kids at daycare. Adding to that is a 'you can't do anything to me' attitude with the staff, apparently.
Oh, and for my friend Fifi, who thinks Atti is a genius - when the centre director told Atti that she was going to tell me what happened, he said 'you can't, my Grandfather is picking me up today'. When she explained she was going to phone me to tell me, she said he had a total 'oh shit, busted' look come onto his face. Genius eh? Not so much.
This happened the first two of the three days at daycare last week. So there was much talking about all this, and promises were made for the third day. Consequences were also explained. Day 3 comes around, spitting happens again and so once we got home, he had to pick a monster truck out and put it in the rubbish bin.
Which obviously we couldn't do three days a week, so a 'you lose all screen time' consequence has been enacted, and one day so far carried out (actually not for spitting, for refusing to go to swimming). Also, positive consequences were instituted. And I did some reading on this great parenting site I have been pointed at http://www.ahaparenting.com/ages-stages/preschoolers and I have been implementing lots of their ideas.
Things seemed to have settled down. He seems happier and his behaviour has improved. Still not the greatest listener, but that's ok.
Some of this, I think, is that he wants to go to a different daycare. Most of his friends have left (started school) and the staff who he really loved have left. So I get it. I was making plans to pull him out over the holidays and applied to another centre for next year when that all became much more important because we were told yesterday our lovely little centre is closing. In 6 weeks. The owner sold the property to a developer.
I'm really sad in one way, these people have cared for my baby with me, and done so much to help me raise him. The centre manager has worked there for nearly 20 years. It has been a daycare for 60 years! He has spent over three years there, learning to become a confident, happy, friendly boy. So that will be sad. However, I was pulling him out anyway, so it will only mess me up for a month I suspect.
Onward to cleaning - my mum is coming! Birthday parties need to be organised and planned. Big day ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment