Sunday, 19 June 2016

I now hate yoghurt even more

I've never been much of a fan of yoghurt. I would try it, for a diet or something, and last two days tops. Don't like the texture, don't much like the taste - can stand a little bit of frozen yoghurt, but not much of that either.

But the Wook eats it and so does the sprog. Excellent. I used to make it myself, because with Rio and K living upstairs I could give away half and it was fine - the stuff only costs about $1 per litre to make. I even bought these fab little animal sachets I could fill up myself.

And Atti won't touch the stuff I make. At least not in the sachets. I am going to have to figure out how to flavour it without ruining it I think. I can use the stuff I make for making smoothies that I freeze into homemade icecreams, or in a desert over fruit - but I like the convenience of giving him (and Rio if I have her) a sachet to eat in the car.

I have been trying to sort out sugar in our diet - how much is ok, and what I need to change. From what I can tell, the most you should eat is 10% of your daily calories, which works out to about 55g for me and 19 for Atti.

Which is not much, and he is definitely eating more of most days. Well I think. Because the food labels don't make it easy to figure out.

I only care about added sugar at the moment. This amount is added sugar. Ok, but how can I tell when the only sugar in the information is total.

Yoghurt sachets have been my first hurdle. The sachets I buy for Atti seem to have most of his daily allowance of sugar - but I can't tell how much is added. According to the 'I quit sugar' website, anything over 4.7g/100g is going to be added. So the chobani sachet he prefers is about half his daily allowance. Ok, that is do-able. He doesn't have these every day, so I can manage that.

But seriously, this sucks. First that I can't easily work this out, and secondly - I need to be able to buy some of his food pre-prepared. I don't have time to make everything he eats myself. And I kind of need some food that can be eaten on-the-go, but muesli bars and biscuits and yoghurt sachets are so high in sugar. It is crazy.

I suppose I could make up little snack boxes of like trail mix like my friend used to for her kids, rather than muesli bars. I assume it means they will refuse to eat some of what is in there though, if it isn't in a stuck-together-bar, with a bit of yoghurt or chocolate layered over. I can make biscuits, but I guess I need to make a bulk amount and figure out storage then. something healthy-ish for a breakfast top-up.

Why can't they just sell some decent food for kids? It can't be that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment