I sacked the Wookie as a parent this week.
I didn't know what else to do. They just fight and fight and fight. They literally cannot get through 15-20 minutes of having breakfast together without it ending in screaming. Enough is enough.
So he can be a friend and he can help me, but he doesn't have parenting rights currently. He cannot impose punishments or discipline (he can carry out my decrees but only within my hearing). After yet another time I watched him impose a consequence that he wouldn't have to actually carry out (no you don't get to cancel tv or take his favorite toy on a day that YOU will be at work and I will be home all day with him), that was it.
He is not very impressed with me. But my 3.5 year old is starting to shout at everyone and it is because of the way they interact (yes I know he would try it anyway, but I think it would have worn off by now otherwise). And the Wook just cannot seem to find a way to deal with him that isn't constantly ratcheting up the discipline, and the kid just ends up losing it.
So, there's that.
Going to daycare has been hit and miss - Monday was awful, Wednesday was fine. Going to (and staying) sleep has been a bit hit and miss too. In the mornings he has some flexibility - as in, if he wants an episode or two of Peter Rabbit, he has to 1. eat breakfast; 2. have a shower; 3. brush his teeth and 4. get dressed (with shoes). If he doesn't do these things, that is fine - but there is no tv. This week there hasn't been that much tv.
So this is the week I implemented some slow parenting stuff. There is no screen time after dinner. So from like 6-8, screen free. At 8, he and I both go to bed. We will read to him, play games with him, do puzzles - no screens. Went great on Monday, completely got ignored on Tuesday,
Next week I will start getting up with him and making breakfast myself. The plan, such as it is, is to actually cook breakfast. Beside scrambled eggs and pancakes, not sure what I am going to make.
No comments:
Post a Comment