Saturday, 4 April 2015

Easter, srsly?

Prior to having a kid, I didn't really notice the pain-in-the-arse-ness that Easter is. I mean for me before it was a 4 day weekend and there is usually another long weekend in April for us and you can sometimes get a hell of a holiday without sacrificing too much of your leave. We used to go camping each Easter at this lovely spot, but that was back in the day.

Actually, BL (Before Law School) more than BA (Before Atticus).

Now I am not religious, and I am not much of a chocaholic so I guess I was kind of failing to engage wight he 'real' meaning of Easter. It was just an uber long weekend. But now I have a two year old, and UUUUUURRRRRGGGGHHHH.

Gift boxes have been on sale for months at the shops, and so I have picked up a gift for the Wook, the Out-laws, Atti and Rio. And we planned two easter egg hunts over the weekend, although I suspect we are going to go a bit light on the actual chocolate eggs. But I had forgotten to take into account everyone else giving my head huge amounts of chocolate. And beyond the relatives and friends… total strangers in shops and at markets that are handing out lollies and chocolates to kids. I was basically told 'oh are you going to be THAT mother' today….. srsly? It was from someone I knew well enough to say 'look if it was only one chocolate over the weekend it would be fine, but do you realise how much he is being given this weekend?' to. 

We really all need to stop giving 'treats' to kids ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. And stop shaming their adults when they say 'no it's not ok'. Because it isn't a 'treat' when it is every time you go to the shops you know. And I already can see what happens to Atti when he is given quite a few gifts in a short period of time - today he skyped with my parents and was given 'their' easter gift. He was thrilled with the truck (and failed to notice his mother hijacking the eggs) but within 10 minutes he was saying 'I want another present'. Not cool son.

I might be a bit extra touchy because we have had a bit of movement on the toilet front around here. Atti is willing to sit on the toilet twice a day for about 10 minutes and read a story - and we have been giving him two smarties when he does this. Probably a bad time to introduce it, with Easter can coming up. But they started it at daycare, and I wanted some consistency*.

*doubt they give him chocolate at daycare though!

No comments:

Post a Comment