Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Music

I am not musical. I never really played an instrument (well, recorder and glockenspiel at primary school and a brief moment of french horn in high school), don't sing, am not even that much into music - I mean I like it, but I have tended to listen to news radio rather than music, mostly because I hate the commentators.

But I went and had a baby, and other people sang to him and he liked it - which forced me to sing too. I would like to point out that I have done more singing in public in the last two years than in the previous nearly 4 decades. 

Recently I have noticed how interested in musical instruments Atti is. We went to visit my best friend and her family, who are very musical, recently and Atti had a wonderful time playing drums, piano, recorder and an accordion. I was glad he didn't realise the violins made sounds! He has also been a bit obsessed with the ukeleles at Rio's school and the ukelele group that plays at our local farmers market each weekend. After he grabbed the spare uke at the farmers market and joined in with the group last Saturday, I decided to have a look online and picked up a cheap uke for him.

He is so impressed with his 'guitar'. He even took it to daycare yesterday and shared it with his friends. They all had a great time with it. 

So it has lead me to you tube and uke lessons online. I figure someone actually needs to play it for him a bit, so he gets that just plucking or strumming it isn't the point. So far I have learnt that I have to practice strumming with my thumb (not my fingers that have decent nails…) and learning about the frets and how to get the strings to touch them, so it will still actually make a note, not a thunk noise.

Just what I need as uni goes back (full time for my final year) and J has her daughter…..a new hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment