Friday, 11 March 2016

Dummy fairies - attempt 1.

So last Friday I took Atti and his friend A from daycare to a playdate in the park. Lovely time had by them, and the lots of friends who joined us later for a bbq dinner in the park. Excellent night. But one of the things that happened was A told Atti about the fabulous present the dummy fairies gave her when she gave them her dummies.

Now he has been a bit obsessed by a toy he saw in Australian Geographic, that was exxy enough that he can't realistically earn enough stamps to acquire. So he has been talking all week about how, maybe the dummy fairies would give him this dinosaur track toy if he gave them his dummies.

And this morning he woke me up at 5.48 to tell me that he was giving his dummies to the fairies. And could I tell them that he would like a dinosaur track when he gave them up. Sure said I, mentally re-arranging my morning to fit in a visit to a shopping centre.

He spent the whole day telling everyone about it. When I got to daycare I had a bit of a chat with his primary carer, before we went out the back. She said that when it was time to have a nap, he told her that he was going to give up his dummies, so he wouldn't be using his for the nap. And she said he was great, and he did sleep without it. Brilliant.

Now, I wasn't particularly sure he was ready. I figured he wanted the toy, and was taking the opportunity to get it. And the toy he wants is actually a bit young for him and also very much like the little people garage he already has, so I thought if he actually did give them up tonight, he would play with the toy all day tomorrow, and then at bedtime announce he was giving it back and he wanted his dummies back.

So while I was getting all the prep done, and encouraging him, I have not been too convinced about this. So I talked to him a bit tonight about how, once you give the dummies to the fairies, that is it, no more dummies, ever. Not for sleeping. Not for when you are upset. Not for when you are in time out. So what is he going to do instead when he is upset? And we talked about deep breaths and cuddles with Mama and giving squeezy hugs to his Tiggy (and in excellent timing, the replacement Idris arrived today).

So before you know it he has helped me clear the train table to set up for the fairies. And laid out some snacks and a drink and we wrote them a letter. And, a plate with every dummy in the house.

He was all set, and pretty excited about it.

And it went a little pear-shaped when his dad said he had to go out, but no Atti couldn't come on an adventure with him.* And then he kept getting out of bed, so we hit the point where I had to close the door to his room. And then it went south - and faced with the actual moment of going to sleep, alone in the dark....he wanted his dummy. 

So we lay in the dark and talked about it. He could have one back if he wanted, but I would have to tell the dummy fairies the exchange was off. He said they could have all but one. I said that isn't how it goes. So he can have a dummy if he wants one, but there would be no dinosaur track in the morning. He said fine, I want the dummy.

So I said ok, and gave him one.

Ah well, nice first attempt son. I am thinking I might break one of the little dinosaur toys out from the package to leave with a note from the fairies saying something about knowing it is hard, and that was a good try, and we have your dinosaur track waiting with us when you want to try again. But how will I get the letter printed by gawd-awfully-early morning?


*not helped by me thinking he was going to get the letters from the fairies printed - and then being quite a beeyatch about that once it became clear he was heading off to pick up his insurance claim electronics instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment