Sunday, 28 February 2016

Kids tv

Some kids tv is utterly creepy or weird. I mean, don't get me wrong, some of it is brilliant. I recently got a season of 'Blaze and the Monster Machines' for Atti, and discovered it is an amazing show designed for preschoolers, and it is all about science and math. It is fabulous.

But in the mornings lately I have been letting Atti have 20-30 minutes of ABC kids in the morning, before we leave for the day. Due to scheduling, it is often a show called 'Dorothy the dinosaur'. It is freaking me out, because it would seem that the fairies and elves in the show are Dorothy's servants. She rings them each morning to 'tell them the day's news and activities'. At which point she tells them to get a vehicle ready for her and tells them one of them must come with her. Also, this morning they apparently flew from Sydney to NZ by flying all around the globe. And here I was thinking the teletubbies were appalling - yikes.

I visited my niece and nephew when they were little, and I remember being freaked out by some of the shows they watched too. My sister in law was mostly horrified that I watched their shows and thought about them (some of the things that freaked me out required a bit of parsing). There was this one show where the toys in a toy box came to life each night and, well there were basically inconsistencies about who could do what. But the worst was a show about two fairies. Effectively it was two vapid girls who sat around all day doing their hair and wearing pretty clothes, and any time anything challenging happened they called in a couple of blokes to deal with it (well a bee and an elf, but they were clearly male and the only ones competent of more than answering a phone). It was her favourite show and my SiL couldn't see what my problem was. sigh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment