Since moving to a single bed, Atticus has been pushing the boundaries a bit about bedtimes. We live in an old flat where the door handles are really high, so most kids need a footstool to open them well into their teens. Which means if we put Atti to sleep with the shut door, he can't get out.
Which at bedtime is good. It's not so great if something happens during the night or in the morning.
He wants the door open when it's bedtime, which we don't. For a couple of reasons, but mostly because (like me) he struggles to sleep until it is dark and quiet. And he almost never sleeps in. So what has evolved is giving him a couple of chances to stay in bed and go to sleep with the door open, and then we shut the door.
Supposedly, later in the night, when he is coming to bed, the Wookie opens his door up - but he has been forgetting a lot lately. So last night I got up at midnight and went to open Atti's door. As soon as I pushed there was a clunking noise. And I quickly realised Atti was behind the door.
Now currently, because of space issues and the hot weather (bit hard to have a 'moving furniture party' in 40 degree heat) there is a bookcase right behind that door, and so kind of shoving him along the floor with the door wouldn't work. He woke up and moved enough for me to get in the door, but was pretty clearly still asleep. So I picked him up and tried to put him back in bed.
But, he has a trundle bed, and rather than put a bed rail on his bed, we just pull the trundle out. If (when) he rolls off the bed, he lands on the trundle - so all good. But when trying to carry 15-17 kilos of kid on two arms, knee walking across the trundle is a bit rough. So he landed on the bed a bit harder than intended.
Must have woken him up because he put his hands upto my face and said 'Mama, are you ok'.
Awww.
Actually, he seems to wake up quite alert, like I do, now that I think about it. I fell asleep on that trundle one night and he rolled off the bed, plop, onto my legs. And almost instantly said 'hi Mama'.
I pretty much wanted to flag this because his Aunt used to sleep behind the door every night, apparently she wanted the light. My mum had to shove the door open each morning, moving her with it. She was pretty amused when I called her this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment