Sunday, 14 June 2015

Food for kids

Sometimes it is so hard getting enough food into Atti. Let alone balancing all the fruit and veg and protein and having some of the veg hidden and some out for them to see and eat and etc etc etc.

It is hard - and when you have so little time on top of everything else, it is hard to feel like you are doing it right.

So I am trying to set some times where I can do some cooking and baking for Atti - today I did a little shopping and made a batch of veggie muffins and got a picnic sorted for the playdate this afternoon. I am managing to make breakfast for Atti and Rio on most Thursday mornings. If I make something like pikelets then I can knock up some others for afternoon teas - pro tip I learned last week trying to make blueberry pikelets - let the blueberries defrost before you add them to the picket mix - it doesn't end well if you don't. 

The plans to get the lad to eat a bit more, and some healthy options - I am planning to make various 'secret veg' baked goods like the muffins I made today, and I am shamelessly stealing any good ideas from friends with food to take out to playdates - so I now have fresh corn each week that I cook and I take small cobs to playdates, and today I bought some cabana sausage that I cut up into little bits that he can have (both of those ideas stolen from a friend just yesterday!), I have some actual straight up vege (carrot sticks) and thanks to the 5 year old psudeo-sib, he loves cheese strings, so we have some of that too. Forgot about boiled eggs, doh -they are always good value, and have some peanut butter sammich, always a winner. The place I shopped this morning had the yoghurt squeezie packs but they were much too expensive, so I will have to pick some of those up, but the ones with the oats in them are great as a 'he didn't eat much breakfast/dinner' post snack. I am also a fan of apple slices with peanut butter on them - as is my kid. And if all else fails, bananas, pears and milk will get us through.

Actually I shouldn't complain. I have a kid who will request gnocchi for dinner, who is pretty much guaranteed to eat pasta if it is served up to him and who will steal all my pistachios if I let him. So he isn't too hard to feed generally. And he will scarf down the salmon mornay pasta back that is one of our staples and will always eat peas. Just lately he isn't eating much, and I worry that it is part of the behaviour problems we have having.

So, like everyone else, I am always on the lookout for good kids food recipes to feed this little munchkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment