Tuesday, 24 March 2015

The drama of band-aids

We went to visit friends on the weekend who live in a rural area just outside of the city we live in. It was a great afternoon and night, save for the little monster managing somehow to stay awake the whole way home and therefore go to be two hours later than normal.

While we were at their property he managed to bash up a finger and remove part of the nail. Part of the nail that covers his finger, and there was a bit of blood. He was very very upset and we had to deal with the band-aid problem.

Atti doesn't like bandaids. This hasn't been a problem previously as since he has been old enough to do anything with them, he hasn't had to have one. He has been given some with characters on them by friends, and he is fine when they are on his t-shirt, but rips them right off his body.

Actually, come to think of it, he doesn't leave them, or any stickers on his clothes either.

But his nail bed was uncovered and bleeding, and it really was going to have to be covered. We were at the home of a wonderfully competent mum and she had a variety of pretty hardy bandaids to choose from. But he kept chewing on them and pulling them off - we went through about 8 in the four hours were were there.

I tried to buy some on the way to daycare the next morning because I figured the daycare people were going to have the same problem. But the chemist was shut. I stopped on my way home and stocked up on hard core fabric bandaids, normal size and cut-to-size. We did manage to keep one on him for 24 hours until his bath tonight.

The poor little sausage is a bit delicate. Sore finger, sore mouth (molars), I think his ears might be bothering him a little, and due to the teething he is getting a bit of a sore bottom too. So he is a bit out of sorts, and sadly waking bloody early (sad for his mama. especially tonight as I am babysitting Rio and won't be able to go to bed until at least 9.30pm), 4.30am this morning. I get him to lie back down and listen to music, but I don't seem able to go back to sleep, so I end up useless for the day.

Anyway, whinge over. His finger will heal in a week or two, and he seems to have got the hang of bandaids now. I wonder if we are about to go through a period of having to have them for every little boo boo from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment