Thursday, 12 March 2015

How communal living makes my life easier

Because it doesn't always. Recently I have been helping out other neighbours, running kids to school and doing lots of the cooking and looking after pets and cars and so one while they are away or training or whatever.

And it does make my day harder. But, it mostly makes my life easier.

Neighbour K's car abruptly died a couple of days ago. So I took her daughter to school the next morning and Neighbour M loaned her a car for the afternoon. Today I had offered her my car, and said I would use public transport to the very far away suburb where I was starting my study/volunteer semester in a public legal clinic.

Which was fine, because she took my kid to daycare after she dropped hers off at school, and then collected him in the afternoon so he didn't have to do a long day. Then brought them home and they played together at her place (Atti spent time re-arranging her cookbooks. He simply refuses to believe they aren't mine). I got home and knocked up a quick dinner for the smalls, and took them over so she could finish cooking and get ready for her nightshift. Then she came down with dinner for the Wookie and I, and did final hugs and kisses for the kids. 

Both of whom are now asleep in my flat, while she works tonight.

It is wonderful. I can use public transport to go to uni and the clinic this semester, which will save me lots of money, because she will do some of the drop offs. So I can actually get there on time. And she and my father in law will do some pick ups, because that will mean he doesn't have to do long days in daycare, which will make him happier. And I can get home in time for dinner, cuddles, bath time and bedtimes. And at least one morning a week we will take Rio to school and hang out with the chickens and so on, and a couple of nights a week she will go to bed here so her mum can do some shifts.

It is brilliant for everyone. We get a family vibe going, the kids have more adults they can rely on, trust, love and be loved by - everyone is a winner. All the adults get a bit more time to themselves, and the knowledge that if something happens we have backups who are right here.

I love it. 

And most of the time, so do they.

Take a picture of us hugging - ok then.



No comments:

Post a Comment