Saturday, 9 May 2015

I kind of hate Mother's Day

Until I was a mother, it wasn't a big deal. My Mum was usefully born in the first week of May (and my Dad's birthday is pretty close to Australian Father's Day too, actually) so it just got rolled together - all I ever had to do was buy an extra card*. So Mother's Day wasn't much a deal. But then again, I have a reasonably low-key family about this kinda stuff.

The Wookie and I got together and Mother's Day became a bigger deal in my life then. The MiL expects a certain degree of celebration - they are the 'eat at an exxy restaurant for things' kind of people. So suddenly Mother's Day, Father's Day, Birthdays were much more expensive. A gift and paying for 3-4 people to eat out. Plus, as I am a planning-y kind of person, the planning started to fall to me. 

I pretty quickly chucked being involved in getting their presents. It soon didn't work out. One year for Father's Day I sourced a whole bunch of stuff to go with the FiL's new big flashy telescope. Star charts for the year and location, astronomy stuff for the year - only to discover it never pointed up to the sky, but down the hill! So that was a bust. And given that the MiL and I are so different, I gave that up. I am in charge of their xmas gifts (and choosing and booking the restaurant for MD - at least I was) and that is it.

But then I became a Mother, and honestly, can we just let it pass for a few years? Atti isn't old enough to do anything - and daycare sorts out a small and usually nice gift for the kids. This year it is a big glass jar that has flour, sugar and cocoa in it, with directions to add eggs and milk and mix, then bake - brownies! That is a good present. But Atti can't even manage not to wake up at 5.30am on MD, so lets just skip it til he can help his Daddy make a breakfast or choose a gift himself. Until then, Daddy is in charge, and Daddy is somewhat clue-less.

Which means it all ends up landing on me. And like countless other Mothers have said 'I don't want to plan Mother's Day FFS'. 

Now I am going to bitch about my partner, which I am well aware is utterly naff. But still....

Yesterday, after picking a friend up from a surgical procedure, I had to stop off while dropping her home to collect my own gift. All I wanted was a tin of my favorite tea. It is like $15 and is on the way to/from the Wookie's work. So he has driven within 500 meters of the place literally 10 times this week. But I had to go on a busy saturday to get it myself. And then he didn't give it to Atti to give me this morning anyway.

Atti woke at 5.30 this morning and I (stupidly) woke the Wook saying 'surely this morning I don't have to go get him? Assuming he would just grab him and bring him back to bed. But they got up. So I still didn't get any sleep (fighting and playing loud-music-playing-toys) and I got to lie in bed and consider how all the early mornings this coming week are now going to go. sigh.

And at 7 in comes Atti and Wook with a card (no food or tea) and I basically got both stomped on and groped. Awesome. Oh please, can we do this multiple times a year?

Blergh. Count me out.

Oh, and I still won't get any peace today. At 9 I am making a card with Rio for her mum and grandmother and the outlaws are coming here apparently (and claiming we will then go 'find' somewhere to eat - ah, not likely on MD). I am planning on suggesting we go to the beach and pick up fish and chips on the way. At least I could get my photography assignment for the week sorted.

And yeah I know - I'm a bitch. Whinging bitch. Lovely partner, son and in-laws. All who want to give me a good morning but are just going awry. And whingey me. But still, aiiiiyiiiiyiii. It can't be this hard can it?

*I feel very sorry for people born at xmas if they have a family like mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment